August is among us. This means exactly two things. Number one: college football is about to begin. In case we don’t know each other, my Alma mater knows a thing or two about playing the game. Just sayin’. And number two: game day food among us, and I’m totally here for it. So get ready for my Honey and Hoisin Grilled Chicken Skewers with a side of sriracha mayo.
Now don’t get me wrong, I love some good wings, but sometimes I’m in the mood for a little bit of a twist. These skewers use boneless, skinless chicken breast, which can sometimes mean less flavor if not handled properly. By grilling with a small amount of oil and layering on the sauce, these grilled chicken skewers bring all the salty and sweet flavor you need. In fact, I had family in town when I was testing this recipe. Not only were these skewers gone in about 5 minutes flat, but I later found my family rummaging through my fridge looking for something to soak up the sauce with it. It is that good.
As I mentioned, the sauce can be summed up as the perfect balance of salty and sweet. I added a kick of red pepper flake and a little sriracha mayo on the side to pump up the heat, but that’s strictly optional depending on your level of desired spice. Not optional for me, because I love me some heat.
I hope these skewers grace your tailgates this fall and winter. They sure are a crowd pleaser! If you scroll to the bottom past “shop the recipe” section, I have some additional suggestions for more tailgating and game day recipes! Go Tigers!Print
Honey and Hoisin Grilled Chicken Skewers
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings (appetizer) 1x
- 6–8 wooden or reusable grilling skewers
- 1 lb. chicken tenderloins
- 2 tsp. Chinese five spice powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. honey
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. red pepper flake (more or less depending on desired heat)
- 2 tbsp. sriracha
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1–2 tbsp. sesame seeds (optional for garnish)
- 1 scallion, chopped (optional for garnish)
- If using wooden skewers, soak skewers in water for at least 20-30 minutes. Preheat grill to 400 degrees.
- Season chicken tenderloins with Chinese five spice, salt, and olive oil. Skewer chicken tenderloins on skewers. Grill for about 4-5 minutes on each side or until done.
- Whisk together hoisin, soy sauce, honey, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. Set aside. Mix together sriracha and mayonnaise. Set aside.
- Drizzle hoisin and honey mixture over chicken skewers. Top with sesame seeds and chopped scallion, if using. Serve with sriracha mayo.