This post contains affiliate links, which pays me a small commission at no cost to you.
Oh, you read that right – grilled margarita wings.
There are so many good things going on in this recipe. I really could have ended the post with the title and an order to go make these ASAP. They are that good. In fact, the husband is already requesting these go on the next week’s meal plan.
So if you need more convincing, I will count the ways that I love these wings.
1. The simple flavors of margarita come through strong.
Tequila, limes, honey, and a pinch of salt work wonders on a basic chicken wing. Chicken wings tend to be fairly tender thanks to their higher fat content. The sweet and sour flavors cut right through this and balance the flavors in a perfect melody.
2. These are lightened up.
Like I mentioned above, chicken wings and drum sticks are higher in fat than white meat. Often times, wings are fried – especially at restaurants – which increases the fat content. By grilling the wings, the wings get crispy, but there is no additional fat added. Some of the fat also drips down into the drip pan.
3. The heat is variable.
Some people love spice and others don’t. My husband and I fit squarely in the former camp and generally feel the spicier the better. However, I made these super mild (at least by our idea of spiciness) and it didn’t dampen the flavor. We’re a big fan of this green Tabasco sauce , which is very mild but super tasty. But, if spicier is more your speed feel free to bump it up with something like this .
4. These are perfect for Father’s day or any other summer get-together.
Wings and grilling are essential to any Father’s Day festivities. Not only is my dad of fan of both but has also been known to enjoy a classic margarita (or two ;)). Unfortunately, I won’t be hanging out with my dad this weekend, but these will be a part of our next get-together. (Side note: I will also be making this for my mama that week as well.)Print
Grilled Margarita Wings
- Prep Time: 65 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 2 limes
- 1/2 tsp salt (+additional pinch at end of cooking)
- 1 tbsp. green Tabasco (+few extra dashes at end of cooking)
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 tbsp. tequila
- 2 lbs of chicken wings/drummets (about 12–16 pieces)
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped finely
- Into a large baking dish, zest and juice 1 lime.
- Add salt, Tabasco, honey, and tequila to large baking dish and whisk with a fork until fully incorporated.
- Add chicken wings and toss in marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and marinade in refrigerator for at least 1 hour. Flip wings half way through marinading in order to evenly marinade.
- After marinading, preheat grill to at least 350 degrees. Place wings on grill, flip after 10 minutes. Cook for additional 10-15 minutes or until internal temperature registers as 165 degrees.
- Remove wings to serving platter. Sprinkle with additional pinch of salt and a few extra dashes of Tabasco to taste.
- Chop cilantro and slice second lime into wedges. Garnish wings with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
Shop the tools and ingredients: