This Elderflower Collins is made with gin with lemon, and it’s a simple yet elegant spin on the classic Tom Collins cocktail. It combines the floral notes of elderflower with the tangy brightness of lemon for a delicious and invigorating flavor in every sip.
If you’re a fan of gin cocktails, you won’t want to miss out on my other creative and delicious concoctions! Some of my other favorites are my Smoked Rosemary Gin and Tonic, Empress Gin French 75, and Aperol Negroni.
Why This Recipe Works
- Refreshing and Light: It is a perfect thirst-quenching drink for a warm summer day. It’s one of the best spring and summer cocktails!
- Floral Notes: Elderflower gives the drink a unique and delicate floral flavor that sets it apart from other classic gin cocktails. The floral notes from elderflower are not as potent as in other floral cocktails that involve lavender. The sweetness of the elderflower blends harmoniously with the tartness of the lemon to create a well-rounded and refreshing taste.
- Versatile: The Elderflower Collins cocktail is very versatile and can be easily customized to your taste preferences. No matter your preferences, this drink is easy to adapt and make your own.
- Gin is a spirit with a distinct herbal and piney taste, made primarily with juniper berries. When buying or using gin, choose a brand that suits your taste preferences.
- Lemon juice adds a refreshing citrus flavor to a Tom Collins cocktail. Freshly squeezed lemon juice always tastes better than bottled juice in cocktails.
- Elderflower liqueur adds a sweet and floral flavor to cocktails and is widely available. Common brands include St-Germain and St-Elder. If you can’t find elderflower liqueur, you can substitute my Homemade Elderflower Cordial Syrup, which is made from elderflower tea that is easy to find on Amazon.
- Soda water is a fizzy and refreshing ingredient in a Collins cocktail, providing a bubbly texture and subtle flavor that compliments the other ingredients. You can use seltzer or club soda. I typically use my SodaStream to make homemade soda water, but my CO2 cartridge was empty so I used store bought soda water.
- Garnishes for a Collins cocktail are typically lemon wheels or wedges and a cherry. These add color, citrus aroma, and a touch of sweetness to the drink. Herbs, like fresh mint leaves or edible flowers, can also be used for a creative touch.
Step 1: Add the gin to a collins or highball glass filled with ice.
Step 2: Add the lemon juice and elderflower liqueur to the glass.
Step 3: Top with soda water.
Step 4: Garnish if desired. Gently stir prior to drinking.
Tips and FAQ
What is a Tom Collins?
A Tom Collins is a classic cocktail that is typically made with gin, lemon juice, sugar or simple syrup, and soda water. The drink is served over ice in a tall Collins glass and garnished with a lemon slice and a cherry. The origins of the name “Tom Collins” are debated, but the drink has been a popular and enduring classic for over a century.
This Elderflower Collins recipe is a variation of a Tom Collins that uses elderflower liqueur (such as St-Germain or St-Elder) instead of simple syrup for an unexpected spin on the classic.
What is elderflower liqueur?
Elderflower liqueur is a sweet and floral liqueur made by steeping elderflower blossoms in alcohol and sweetening the resulting liquid with sugar. It’s a popular ingredient in cocktails and is known for its delicate and aromatic flavor that pairs well with gin and other spirits.
Pro tip: To store elderflower liqueur, keep it cool, dark, and away from direct sunlight and heat. Consume it within six months of opening, and tightly seal the bottle to prevent oxidation.
What are the different types of collins cocktails?
The different types of Collins cocktails include Tom Collins (gin), Vodka Collins, John Collins (bourbon), Tequila Collins, and Rum Collins. All are typically served over ice in a tall glass with soda water, lemon or lime juice, and sugar, and garnished with a citrus slice and a cherry.
Did you love this cocktail?
Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating & review in the comments below.
Reviews will help others find this recipe!
Gin Elderflower Collins with Lemon Recipe
- 1 ½ ounces gin
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- 1 ounce elderflower liqueur
- 2 ounces soda water
- Lemon slice and/or cherry for garnish (optional)
- Add gin, lemon juice, and elderflower liqueur to a collins glass filled with ice.
- Top with soda water and gently stir, moving the spoon up and down to evenly distribute the flavor.
- Garnish, if desired.
Don’t forget to follow along on social media for alerts on new recipes!
You can catch me on Instagram, TikTok, Pinterest, and Facebook.
Leave a Reply