This post contains links that pay me a small commission at no extra cost to you.
IM(Humble)O, chips and salsa are a staple. I’m not ashamed to admit in college I would make a meal out of Chi-Chi’s salsa, chips, and sour cream. Late night studying wasn’t complete without this trifecta. My tastes have evolved some over time, but honestly presented with this concoction, I’d do it all over again.
Today, I present a type of salsa (or sauce) with a bit of a twist. One of my favorite party or gathering dips (or salsa, if you will) is to make muhammara. What is muhammara? It’s a Middle Eastern red pepper and walnut spread – it’s like hummus meets salsa with Middle Eastern flavors of spice and smoke. While muhammara can hang on it’s own, I went with a Latin spin this time. And, boy did it pay off. Big time.
In this version, roasted red peppers are still front and center of this sauce or dip, but with the inclusion of peppers in adobo sauce and peptitas (essentially pumpkin seeds) instead of walnuts this spread has seen a new Latin spin. I went for the tried and true chips and salsa route, but spread on a taco or drizzled on grilled meats a la chimichurri sauce it would be perfect. The sky is the limit for how this salsa could be paired. Now go – try this out…immediately.
Pepita and Red Pepper Salsa
- 1 clove fresh garlic finely minced
- ½ oz lime juice
- 1 cup pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1-2 whole chipotle peppers in adobo depending on desired spiciness
- 1 jar roasted red peppers 12 oz. jar, drained
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- cilantro chopped (optional for garnish)
- Place finely minced garlic in food processor bowl with pinch of salt and juice of half of a lime. Allow garlic to sit in lime juice and salt for a few minutes to “mellow out”.
- Add pepitas and pulse a few times to begin grind seeds. Add in cumin, paprika, honey, and both peppers. Blend until smooth. While motor is running, drizzle in olive oil. Garnish with cilantro and extra pepitas, optional.Serve with veggies and/or chips (like tortilla or pita).
Shop this recipe: