This creamy chicken pasta bake with mushrooms and kale is the perfect balance of veggies, protein, and carbs. I love it when you hit all the essentials in one meal, not to mention one pot!
Oh, and the aroma that will come from your kitchen when you make this dish! The smell of mushrooms, sage, and rosemary are the coziest fall and winter aromas. Couple that with comfort food like creamy chicken pasta, and we have the ultimate cozy, homemade meal.
This creamy chicken pasta bake is easy to make ahead of time. You can prep this meal in advance, but don’t bake it. You can refrigerate it or freeze it for another day. To freeze, wrap it in plastic wrap then tin foil, and it should keep for up to 3 months in the freezer. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and remove plastic wrap prior to baking.
To bake from refrigerated, simply bake for 60-90 minutes or until hot throughout. It’s perfect to prep on the weekend for an upcoming busy weeknight or to bring to a potluck. You can also split this into two 8×8 casserole dishes instead of the normal 9×13 dish.
Don’t forget! I’m still offering spots for my one-on-one nutrition coaching! To learn more about it, schedule a free 15 minute consultation by clicking here.Print
Creamy Chicken Pasta Bake with Kale and Mushrooms
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 1x
- 1 lb. rigatoni pasta (or penne, bowtie, etc.)
- 5 tbsp. oil, divided
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp. (each) fresh sage and rosemary, finely minced
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk (2%)
- 10 oz. kale, chopped (~10 oz.)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta in salted, boiling water for 7-8 minutes (you want slightly underdone pasta as it will continue to cook in the oven). Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Season chicken cubes with salt and pepper. Sear chicken in pan, cooking for about 2 minutes on each side or until golden all over. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add mushrooms to pan, season with salt and pepper, and saute for about 5-10 minutes or until most of water has evaporated. Add in additional tablespoon of oil if dry, and add in onion, garlic, sage, and rosemary. Saute for additional 5 minutes or until onion is translucent and aromatic. Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Add in 3 more tablespoons of oil and saute for one minute. Add in flour and whisk until roux is formed. Cook roux for about 3 minutes, constantly whisking to prevent burning.
- Slowly whisk in broth and milk, whisking vigorously to avoid lumps until sauce forms. Once smooth, fold in kale, stirring until kale if fully wilted. Add Parmesan cheese.
- Mix chicken, pasta, and sauce all together and bake in a covered casserole dish (9×13) for 25 minutes.
Shop this recipe: