This Black Magic Margaritas recipe captivates with its dark and mysterious purple-black hue and is a real showstopper for Halloween. It’s a classic margarita with a fun twist, bringing together tequila, lime, and blue curaçao along with Halloween-themed black salt and edible glitter for a tasty, citrusy drink.
It’s no secret around here that I love Halloween cocktails, so if you’re looking to serve up a variety of cocktails at your next Halloween party make sure to also check out my other popular drinks like the Practical Magic Midnight Margaritas (made with color changing butterfly pea flower) and my Black Mojito.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Visually striking: The combination of blue curacao, red food coloring, and edible black glitter creates a unique look with its dark color that is fit for Spooky Season.
- Easy to Make: The ingredients are straightforward and the process is similar to making a regular margarita, making it accessible for cocktail enthusiasts of all levels.
- Perfect for serving a crowd: It’s a spot-on choice for Halloween parties or events. I’ve included instructions in the recipe card below for how to make and serve a batch for a party.
- Tequila – I tend to use blanco or silver tequila for margaritas, but you can use reposado (gold) tequila as this may help enhance the black color of the margarita.
- Blue curaçao – Instead of typical triple sec, I used blue curaçao as my orange liqueur, which when combined with the red food dye and edible black glitter creates a deep purple-ish black margarita.
- Red food coloring
- Lime juice – Use fresh lime juice for the best taste.
- Edible black glitter – I love using edible glitter in my cocktails, and I usually buy it on Amazon. You just need a tiny, little bit – a little goes a long way.
- Black salt for rim – Below is the exact black salt that I use in my Halloween margaritas, like my Beetlejuice Margarita. You can use regular or sea salt though, if you prefer.
- Garnishes – I used skewered gummy eyeballs to give more creepy Halloween cocktail vibes, but you can also use the classic lime slices.
Full ingredient list and measurements are available in the recipe card below.
Step 1: Run a lime wedge around the rim of the glass and then roll in the salt.
Step 2: Add the tequila and blue curaçao to the cup of a cocktail shaker.
Step 3: Add the black edible glitter and then the red food coloring.
Step 4: Add ice to the shaker and shake until well chilled. Strain into the serving glass filled with ice.
Step 5: Garnish, if desired.
Expert Tips + Variations
- For a sweeter cocktail, add some agave nectar or simple syrup.
- Instead of rimming with black salt, try black sanding sugar on the rim of your glass for a sweet option.
- For a more sour cocktail, increase the amount of lime juice.
- Make it a frozen margarita by adding the ingredients to generous handful of ice in a blender and blending until smooth.
Yes, you can make a batch. Multiply each ingredient by the number of servings you want, then mix in a large pitcher or container.
To serve, stir well and pour individual portions over ice, adding the candy eyeball garnish to each glass. You may need to give the batch a quick stir with a long cocktail stirrer every so often as the edible glitter can sink to the bottom over time.
Yes, you can make the batch in advance up to 1 day in advance. Store the pre-mixed batch in a sealed container in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
Stir well, as the edible glitter may settle at the bottom of the container, before pouring into glasses over ice. You can also opt to add the edible glitter just before serving.
It’s important to note that edible glitter is very different than regular glitter! It’s considered safe for consumption by the FDA and can be used to add a fun and festive touch to any food or drink item.
If you want to know more about edible glitter in cocktails, check out my post all about Glitter Cocktails.
Did you love this recipe?
Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating & review in the comments below.
Black Magic Margaritas Recipe
- 1 ½ ounces tequila
- 1 ounce blue curaçao
- 1-2 drops red food coloring
- ¾ ounce lime juice
- 1 pinch edible black glitter
- Black salt for rim (optional)
- Halloween gummy candy and/or lime wedges for garnish (optional)
- Add the tequila, blue curaçao, red food coloring, lime juice, and edible glitter to a cocktail shaker.
- Add ice and shake until well chilled.
- If desired, moisten the rim of the cocktail glass with a lime wedge and roll in black salt.
- Strain the cocktail into the glass filled with ice. Garnish, if desired.
- 1 ½ cups tequila
- 1 cup blue curaçao
- 8-16 drops red food coloring
- ¾ cup lime juice
- 2 large pinches edible black glitter
- Black salt for rim (optional)
- Halloween gummy candy and/or lime slices for garnish (optional)
- Mix in a large pitcher or container.
- To serve, stir well and pour individual portions over ice, adding a garnish, if desired, to each glass.
- You may need to stir the batch every so often as the edible glitter can sink to the bottom.
- You can make the batch in advance up to 1 day in advance.
- Store the pre-mixed batch in a sealed container in the fridge until you’re ready to serve.
- Stir well before serving.