Does anyone get those chocolate oranges in their stocking at Christmas? You know the ones that you hit off the table, and they break into what looks like chocolate orange slices? Yeah, those ones. They’re one of my favorite Christmas treats because orange and chocolate are two flavors that are made for one another. This Orange Chocolate Granola is the same flavor profile and can be enjoyed all year round.
When I was baking this, the house smelled amazing. You know how you’re supposed to bake chocolate chip cookies when you’re trying to sell your house so that potential buyers will feel your home is cozy and want to buy it? Yeah, don’t do that. Bake this instead. It fills the air with bright, sweet citrus aromas and the indulgent smell of chocolate paired with the toasty nuttiness of pecans. Are you drooling on your keyboard yet? I am. After the orange chocolate granola came out of the oven, my mom called, and I talked to her for at least 20 minutes. I stood at the counter the entire conversation snacking on this granola because I couldn’t get over how great it tasted. It makes a great snack and an even more perfect breakfast.
It’s also a nutritional powerhouse with dark chocolate, whole grains, high protein nuts, and dried fruit. It clearly checks all the boxes for me – tastes good (first) and nutritious (second). That might sound weird coming from a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist that taste comes first (always), but let’s get real. What good is nutritious food if it doesn’t taste good? You have to want to eat it, and this is something that I’ll want in my kitchen forever.
The best part is that you can double or triple this recipe as it will keep for at least 3 weeks in an airtight container. It’s perfect for making it on the weekend to enjoy all week long!
Don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter to keep up to date on new recipes and content not shared elsewhere!Print
Orange Chocolate Granola
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Cuisine: Breakfast
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup chopped raw pecans
- 1/4 cup whole grain flour
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup honey or agave syrup
- 1 tbsp. grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup 100% orange juice
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. light-colored olive oil or canola oil
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries or dried cherries
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Mix oats, pecans, flour, cocoa powder, and salt in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, whisk together the honey (or agave), orange zest, orange juice, vanilla extract, and oil. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Spread evenly onto the baking sheet and bake for about 1 hour. Set a timer to check and stir granola about every 20 minutes to ensure that edges don’t burn.
- Remove from oven and cool. Granola will continue to crisp up while cooling. Once cool, mix in dried fruit and chocolate chips. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.