Who doesn’t love crispy foods? I mean, it’s the best texture. I know I’ve mentioned before that I bought an air fryer this year on Prime day. Truth is I held off on an air fryer for years thinking it wasn’t worth it, but oh I was so wrong. I’m always amazed at how fast food cooks and just how crisp the food comes out. This chicken schnitzel is made in the air fryer and gets the crust so crispy while keeping the inside juicy and flavorful.
This air fryer chicken schnitzel is topped with lemon, parsley, and paired with a sweet and sour cabbage with granny smith apples making it the perfect German-inspired meal! You can also add in some buttered spaetzle or egg noodles to round out the meal if desired.
First, the chicken is coated in flour, then an egg and mustard mixture, followed by crispy panko breadcrumbs. Brushed with a little bit of oil, they’re off to the air fryer to bake into crunchy, deliciousness. Squeeze a little lemon on top, and it’s perfection!
The cabbage is super simple made with just a little bit of apple cider vinegar and honey along with some tart granny smith apples. I seasoned the cabbage with a little salt and pepper to balance all the flavors.
If you like this recipe, don’t forget you can subscribe to my email list! You’ll never miss a recipe, plus I share exclusive content there not found on the blog!Print
Air Fryer Chicken Schnitzel with Sweet and Sour Cabbage
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 tbsp. (heaping) spicy brown mustard
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, very thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups plain panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp. light olive oil plus more for brushing
- 1 bag (16 oz.) shredded cabbage or slaw mix
- 1 medium-large granny smith apple, sliced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. honey
- lemon slices and parsley for serving
- Preheat air fryer to 360 degrees F for at least 5 minutes. Whisk eggs and mustard together in a bowl. Dip chicken breast in flour, then egg mixture, then panko. Brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook in air fryer for 6 minutes, flip the chicken, then cook for additional 6 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add cabbage and apples. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until tender and apples have caramelized some. Whisk together apple cider vinegar and honey, then pour into skillet to deglaze. Toss, then serve with schnitzel, lemon wedges, and parsley for garnish.