Smoky and Savory Sweet Potato Casserole
- Author: admin
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour and 40 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Category: side dish
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Put the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and pierce each one several times with a fork. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until easily pierced all the way through with a fork. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook bacon until crispy and remove to drain on a paper towel. Drain bacon fat from skillet except for about 1-2 tsp. Add onion and for about 5 minutes. Add garlic, chipotle pepper, smoked paprika, oregano, and salt/pepper to taste. Cook for additional 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat, add coconut milk, and stir.
- In a separate bowl, mix breadcrumbs, olive oil, and bacon crumbles. Season to taste with black pepper.
- Once sweet potatoes cool enough to handle, scoop orange flesh out of potatoes into large mixing bowl. Add coconut milk mixture and mash. Fold in the eggs to the sweet potato mixture. Spray a 9×13 size casserole pan with nonstick spray or with olive oil. Add potato mixture to casserole pan. Top with breadcrumb mixture and bake for about 35-40 minutes or until breadcrumbs golden and casserole warmed through.