I’ve talked before how much I love my air fryer. As I mentioned before, I didn’t think that I would, but it is so useful! I can make crispy, delicious food without all of the mess of frying in oil. I love me a good egg roll, so naturally, I needed to try my hand at making egg rolls in the air fryer. Per usual, the air fryer has not let me down yet. Air fryer egg rolls are the best!
I’m so happy that egg roll wrappers are so readily available in the grocery store. You can fill them with so many things. A classic choice for filling includes cabbage. Cabbage tastes so good sauteed in a skillet with some Asian seasonings like soy sauce or Chinese Five Spice. I feel that Chinese Five Spice is such an underused Asian flavoring. I’m happy that like egg roll wrappers, Chinese Five Spice has also become readily available in the grocery store. This spice blend is made up of peppercorns, anise, cloves, fennel seeds, and cinnamon. It’s warm and cozy without being spicy.
To make the egg rolls, I first sauteed my favorite Asian flavors in the skillet with the shredded cabbage. I then placed the cabbage filling in the middle of the wrapper. Then, I moistened the perimeter of the wrapper with water so that it would stick together when folded. Then, I folded one corner of the wrapper towards the opposite corner. Lastly, I folded in the two other sides and rolled tightly to secure the filling. The egg rolls will get their characteristic crunch by giving them a quick brush of oil before popping them into the air fryer for cooking.
Once they’re done cooking, you have the crispiest air fryer egg rolls to share with your family or guests. These make a great side dish to have on your next stirfry night or just as an appetizer or small dish for a party or potluck.
Don’t forget if you’re loving these recipes, sign up for the email list. Not only do I share when new recipes release on the blog, but you get exclusive content that’s not shared on the blog. For example, this past week, my email list received an email about How to Grocery Shop with No Plan. Next week, we’ll be covering how to create balanced meals and snacks, so don’t wait to sign up!Print
Air Fryer Egg Rolls with Chinese Five Spice
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 egg rolls 1x
- Method: Air fryer
- 1 tbsp. light-colored oil (light olive, avocado, or canola), plus more for brushing
- 1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger (or 1 tsp. dried powdered ginger)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. Chinese Five Spice
- 14 oz. bag of shredded cabbage slaw mix (or 6–7 cups of shredded cabbage)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
- 2 tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- Sauce of your choosing for dipping (recommended: Sweet Chili Sauce)
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger, garlic, and Chinese Five Spice and saute for about 30 seconds or until fragrant. Add cabbage mix and green onions. Saute for 5-6 minutes. Add sesame oil and soy sauce. Turn off heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Fill each egg roll wrapper with about 2 heaping tbsp. of the cabbage mixture. Using your finger or a pastry brush, wet the perimeter of the egg roll wrapper with water. Fold one corner to the opposite corner, tuck in the sides, and roll tightly for each wrapper. Brush each egg roll with oil or spray with an oil spray.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F. Cook the egg rolls for 3-4 minutes, then flip, then cook for an additional 3-4 minutes or until crispy all over. Serve with sauce (like Sweet Chili Sauce) for dipping.